Overview: Ever want to know more about the Bangor area? Join the Bangor Historical Society’s research team to dig deep into the Queen City’s past. Our Research Assistants help answer questions from the public, research objects in our collection, and investigate potential donations to the BHS.
- Research and respond to inquiries about Bangor history
- Research objects already in our collection as well as potential donations
- Assist with exhibit research and creation
- Researcher Assistants are asked to attend an orientation course at the BHS. Courses are regularly scheduled and will last approximately an hour. All volunteers are encouraged to attend at least one walking tour to learn more about Bangor history.
- Researchers will be supplied with information regarding the Hill House and its history and are encouraged to ask staff for help at any time. In addition, researchers will be given training on research methods as well as proper documentation and citation.
- Amount of Time: at least 2-3 hours a week
- Weekdays 10am-4pm to work onsite; flexible schedule for online or library research
- Location: Thomas A. Hill House; offsite virtual research
Qualifications and Skills:
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to research
- Clear written communication
- Attention to detail
- Interest in history
- Training in how to conduct historical research
- Training in how to use primary and secondary source materials
- Opportunity to learn about a wide variety of historical topics
- Access to the museum’s resources and collection as well as learning materials
- Gain professional experience
- Free admission to Thomas A. Hill House museum
- 15% discount on gift store purchases
- After 100 hours of service, a free one-year membership to Bangor Historical Society
- Can be adapted to meet academic requirements for school credit